Yesterday was my one year anniversary of the day Peter left me.
I cried a few times yesterday. I got so FREAKING angry a few times. I grieved my past life and my new life.
I didn't know how yesterday would hit but it hit like a ton of bricks. It felt like I was reliving that very day, a year ago. I kept replaying moments and feeling anxiety and wondering how the hell I am still standing after such a horrible experience.
I reached out a lot yesterday. I reached out to WoPA friends, my friends who were there on d-day, and I even reached out to my parents who are on a cruise right now. Everyone reached back with loving words and validation. Even people I didn't reach out to were sending me texts and emails, reminding me that I am strong and that I can get through this really hard thing.
Yesterday was hard.
Today was even harder.
This morning, I called Peter to ask him a question and he didn't answer. No big deal. He does that a lot.
But then he texted me almost immediately and said, "Can't talk. What's up?" and to any normal person, that text wouldn't have been a big deal. But in my story, that text is an extremely triggering text to receive.
Because it is almost the exact same thing Peter texted me the day I called to check on him at work. It was the very last text he sent before our phone conversation about the lies and the secrets---the very conversation where he told me he no longer cared about me. It was the last text I ever received before my husband left me.
I didn't text him back. In fact, I threw my phone across the car and tried to focus on something else the entire drive to the gym. But it didn't work.
All day, that text has been running through my mind.
Just breathe, Wendy. Just breathe.
I knew I wanted to come on here tonight and talk about those triggering moments. I knew I wanted to remember how I felt this morning. But as soon as I started to type, I decided it would be a good idea to link back to my d-day post.
And when I linked to it, I decided to read the post.
And when I read the post, I started breathing heavily and my heart was pounding and I started to sweat. I was frozen. I was frozen and my chest was physically hurting and I couldn't move out of my chair.
That day was real. There is no escaping the painful memories of that day.
I panicked. I knew I was having an anxiety attack but I've never been frozen like that. I wrote on a message board and reached out to some loving friends and started receiving message after message of comfort. I also received messages telling me things my brain couldn't even think of.
Wendy, have you asked anyone for a blessing? Can I call the temple and put your name on the prayer roll? Do you have Xanax in your house?
One by one, I did the things I was being told. The Xanax started to kick in and I called a friend sobbing, asking if her husband was available to give me a blessing.
Within minutes, he was in my home and we were talking about what had happened.
And then I received one of the most powerful blessings I have ever received.
I had recently lost hope in a few things and in that blessing, those things were promised to me. And I felt my Savior comforting me, telling me it is ok to break down and cry and be worried. It's ok to feel scared and need to reach out to others. It doesn't make me a weak person.
It just makes me a person.
There have been so many lonely nights were I sobbed and screamed and panicked late into the night. I'm glad tonight wasn't one of those. I am grateful for people in my life who can help me get through some of the roughest shit I've ever, ever had to deal with.
Tonight I am broken but I am still alive. Tonight I know that with my Savior by my side, I can handle nights like tonight.
I am going to fight. I am going to get through this hell. And someday, I am going to get remarried and feel real love. I don't doubt any of that tonight.
The triggers aren't over. They will keep happening. But I have hope that when they come, I will be surrounded with the love of my friends and family and the love of my Savior.
One year down, eternity to go.
I can do hard things.

This makes me happy, and sad. It makes me cry and rejoice. You've come full circle in the last few hours in such a beautiful way. I'm so impressed with the process and with the hope expressed here. I'm praying for you. I'm praying that all your dreams come true. I'm praying that you find the love of your life. Most importantly, I'm praying that you never forget how much you're loved by your Heavenly Father and your Savior.
ReplyDeleteThis made me cry for you. "I am broken, but I am still alive." Like ^^^^ said, you've come full circle. You are so beautiful and amazing. I don't want you to ever forget that. I love you so much and am sending you all the strengthening thoughts this pregnant body can muster.
ReplyDeleteSo awesome to have somewhere where people can remind you of all the things to do to help you through the feelings and thoughts and cycles after a trigger. To remind you to breathe and take the next step to help you heal. And in reading this I realized...I need to go have someone give me a blessing, so thanks for that little reminder too! You're loved and we're all here for you and are praying for you AND eachother!!! ((HUGS))
ReplyDelete