I had a dream last night and in my dream, I loved him. I felt the way I used to feel about him.
In my dream, we told our families we were thinking of getting back together. Most of them were happy, although some weren't.
I sent Peter a text last week that said, "I'd love to have another conversation with you in the future when it's appropriate." I sent it out of the blue. When I left the conversation last week regarding another relationship with Peter, it seemed pretty final. In my head, it was final. The words I said to him were pretty final.
But I couldn't stop thinking about it all week.
All damn week.
How would it even work? Would I be able to love him again? How would I learn to trust him?
That "meeting" took place two nights ago. I allowed Peter in my home after the kids were in bed as long as he promised to respect my boundaries and sit across the room and talk cordially.
Throughout the conversation, Peter told me a lot of things that hurt my heart but one in particular I'm still struggling with to this day.
You see, I have suppressed a lot of memories in my life. I'm really, really good at suppressing memories.
I had forgotten about a few incidents in the second year of our marriage when I viewed pornography with Peter. I don't want that to be a part of my life. I really hate that I have that truth to tell you. But the thing is, it's true and I'm owning up to that.
When Peter told me his addiction got bad after we viewed some "informational pornographic dvd's" together, I could hardly catch my breathe. The room seemed to be spinning. I couldn't focus on the other things he was saying.
I had forgotten those horrible times. I had forgotten the immature choices I made when I didn't know any better.
I had no idea about Peter's previous pornography problems. I had no idea how addicting pornography could be for him. I would never have agreed to something like that had I known what it could do to his brain.
Although I am stuck on blaming myself---in reality, I had no idea!!! In a world where I don't doubt myself, I know that my choices don't make me responsible for Peter's choices.
The problem is that I do doubt myself.
The problem is that I now remember those memories so vividly that I want to scream.
So it didn't matter that Peter told me about his testimony of God and how he hasn't looked at pornography in 5 months and how he is trying really hard to recover and how he loves me and wants us to be a forever family.
I was long gone before he said any of those things.
My brain had already detached as much as possible so I wouldn't feel so much of the pain.
How could I have not known that even viewing pornography (informational or ANYTHING) with my husband wasn't safe? How could I have NOT known that it would stay in his mind and cause him to crave it more and more?
I feel like I now have blame in my failed marriage---a large portion of the blame. But from an outside point of view, that doesnt make sense.
So why is my heart telling me it's true?

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHoly smokes no. That's really all I can think to say. You are fine and you need to let yourself relax about it. Not your fault at all.
ReplyDeleteOh, Wendy. I want to just come sit with you. You are not to blame. Not at all.
ReplyDeleteIt's another painful thing to work through, yes. But you will find healing of these memories.
Why does our heart do that to us?! its not fair. Its not right and logically you know that. But I completely understand the need to blame yourself. Maya Angelou's quote, when I knew better, I did better. Its the best. Its all we can do. Its all we can live by.
ReplyDeletehey I also just wrote on my ED blog again, (finally, after 3 months!!!!) will you come read it? http://eatingtothecore.blogspot.com/2014/10/new-food-plan.html
ReplyDeleteOh Wendy, I so know this feeling. I too viewed movies with my husband early in our marriage not knowing about his addiction. I blamed myself but I finally realized that if he was an alcoholic and chose not to tell me would I blame myself for drinking with him? No way! He didn't disclose to you, he has to own that, not you.
ReplyDelete