Saturday, December 3, 2016
The Other Woman
I spent Thanksgiving without my kids this year. It went better than most of the other holidays I've spent without my kids and I'd like to think that means I'm healing and getting more used to sharing my children part of the time.
It felt good until my kids got home and my daughter said, "We got to spend Thanksgiving with dad's new girlfriend! She's the best! I love her so much. She says she will paint my nails and do my hair. She is my best friend."
In that moment, it felt anything but good.
I could barely catch my breath.
Wait a minute, Peter has a serious girlfriend and she spent a five day holiday weekend with my kids?
It felt like the world was spinning around me but I wasn't able to move or speak or even blink my eyes. I tried so hard not to lose it in front of them.
But it's been six days since then and I've lost it every night. I've cried myself to sleep every single night. I've had panic attacks every single day.
It's hard to even explain my reasoning for reacting this way.
Peter said he hated being married and I always expected him not to get into another relationship, at least not for a very long time.
I was the one who wanted to date right away. I was the one who still believed in relationships and marriage.
And now Peter gets to have that. Peter has 26 nights a month that he could spend with his girlfriend but he is choosing to spend the ONLY 4 nights a month that he has our kids with his girlfriend too.
You'd think that'd be a good thing but last night, the kids told me that they had to go in the basement and watch movies so dad could have alone time with his girlfriend.
And then there's my eating disorder. I'm an overeating, purging mess over here because I'm just not handling this news well at all.
My thoughts turned to, "Is she skinnier and more beautiful than me? Did he find someone with a model-like body that hasn't been covered in stretch marks from pregnancy?"
Today I met her.
I was only given six days of knowing he had a girlfriend before I met her.
Because she was at my daughter's dance recital tonight.
And while there, my son ignored me and snuggled on her lap. My boy. My cuddly, momma's boy. He refused to sit with anybody besides her.
And while there, my daughter gave her a short hug and she said, "Really, that's all I get is a one-handed hug? I feel so unloved!" in a joking voice that grated on my last nerve because she's known my daughter for like four days now.
And I should be happy that my kids love her. But it hurts so much right now.
It hurts so much.
I want to write it all down, all of the pain and sadness I'm feeling, but honestly, I don't have the energy because it's all being used just to function these days.
All I can think about is how they're together and I'm here all alone, struggling to find worth within myself and raising two children who are beautiful and hard and amazing and active.
And because he only has to be their dad 4 days a month, he gets to date and have time for another adult and have physical and emotional connection.
It really, truly hurts.
And I'm just not dealing with it well.
It hurts that he can treat me as horribly as he does while treating another woman like she's the most important person in the world.
That used to be me. I used to be the most important person in the world to him. I used to be the one who would lay on his shoulder while we would listen to music late at night on the couch. I used to be his everything.
And although I don't want him back, it tears my heart to know that he---the man who left our family and hurt all of us so much---gets to have the very thing I've wanted for a long time.
I'm so angry that he is in a relationship and that I'm not. I'm so angry that he gets to ignore his kids the majority of the time but then they prefer him over me if we're all together. I'm so angry that my kids think she might be "their new mom".
He's already taken so much from me. He has already ruined so much.
WHY is this even happening the way that it is? Am I really that horrible of a person that I cannot find a boyfriend? Am I really that horrible of a mother that my kids prefer their dad, the guy who is emotionally abusive to them, over me?
It all just feels like too much right now, like I'm never going to get past this phase of heartache.
Labels:
Anger,
anxiety,
Betrayal Trauma,
Divorce,
Trauma
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It hurts and it sucks. Praying for you right now. <3
ReplyDelete