The thing is, you can’t fully trust that anyone will be
loyal to you. I think that’s something I’ve learned as I still find myself
struggling to fit in to my support groups without feeling this urge to take a
huge leap backward.
I still find myself struggling to trust anyone. And I still
question whether any of them trust me.
Although the messiest parts seemed to have passed, it isn’t
magically over and fixed. I still find myself feeling traumatized and scared to
move forward.
And maybe that’s because I had trusted that the messiest
parts had passed last summer---and they hadn’t.
So I find myself pondering and learning from this and
saying, “Well, Wendy, life is always
going to be somewhat messy. You can’t control other people. All you can do is
decide how you’re going to handle the messes.”
And that’s kind of what I’ve done.
Because a few weeks ago, I met with an old friend to talk
about some of our past messes.
And I started out really optimistic.
And days later, I got extremely pessimistic.
And then I was more realistic.
And mixed in there were really great days and some more
messy days.
And now I’m just here---back to mostly optimistic but making
sure I’m also being realistic.
Or maybe I’m not optimistic. I don’t know right now.
Today I’m really confused.
Or maybe just sad.
Because I had these high levels of optimism that fixing this
would fix other relationships and that we could just move on from here.
But that isn’t always how it works.
Because I don’t get to tell people how to feel or how to act
or what to say.
And. That’s. Just. Life.
I was going to attend the Togetherness Project this next
August, thinking it was what was best for me, but now I’m quite certain it isn’t.
I had convinced myself that I deserved to go, that I
deserved to be there just as much as anyone else and I’ve realized that was my
main reason for wanting to go.
And although I DO deserve to be there just as much as anyone
else, I don’t need to go just to prove myself.
Because I’ve learned that people are going to hate me if
they want to hate me. People are going to believe I’m a liar if they want to
believe I’m a liar.
I can’t change any of that.
People can live their lives without trusting me pretty darn
easily. That’s not the main problem.
The main problem is when I don’t trust myself because that
is when I start to unravel.
When I trust in myself and have faith in myself, I don’t feel
this urge to prove myself to the world.
And so, right now, that is what I am working on.
I’m sad about my decision because there are people I’ve
wanted to see whom I truly love so deeply.
But today and tomorrow and the next day---I need to be a
little more selfish and do what’s best for me. I need to learn to trust more
and recover more and worry about the outside stuff less.
I need to save me before I can save anyone else.
No comments:
Post a Comment