Saturday, March 26, 2016

Those Moments

I witnessed a car accident last week.

It was one of those heart-wrenching moments where I could tell the car in front of me hadn't seen the light turn red because she wasn't slowing down at all.
At all.
It happened slower than I'd imagine witnessing a car accident would. I scanned each car that had a green light, praying they would somehow see her careening into the intersection and stop their cars. Some of them did but one of them didn't. He hit her and her car ran into a pole.
All of the kids in my car peered out with wide eyes, worried about the situation we had just watched unfold. And when the girl got out of her car, we all breathed a sigh of relief.

Haven't we all experienced these types of moments in our lives? Moments where we can look from the outside and hold our breath as another person makes a decision that we believe will alter their life from that day on?

I've been there. More than once, I've been there.

But that's the messy and incredible part about life---that we can't choose for others. That we can watch someone lashing out at others---or at us---and wish we could shine light on the situation that would prevent them from doing something they may later regret. That we can watch someone running straight into a relationship or situation that we know isn't healthy for them.

And we cannot do a damn thing about it.

Life is messy like that. It'd be so nice if we had someone there to stop us from doing a lot of the stupid things we do. But God gave us free agency for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment