You can cower down and lose confidence. You can put your trust in the accuser and wonder whether you are really, truly a bad person.
Or you can do nothing. You can ignore it and live your life, cutting that person out to keep yourself safe from future hurt.
Or you can fight. You can become pissed off and possibly go bat-shit crazy on the person. You can attack their character right back. You can try and hurt them how they've hurt you.
Or...
Or you can fight for YOURSELF. This is different than fighting with the person. You can stand up for yourself when you are attacked and you can prove the person wrong. You can live your life, showing the world your character. You can have compassion for the persons anger and set boundaries that keep you from further harm as much as possible.
And if you pick the fourth choice, which in most situations I would recommend, you will find who you're real friends are.
They are the people who hear horrible things about you and question them. They are the people who come and ask you for your side, even if they don't agree with you in the end. They listen and they don't attack you. They don't believe things about you just because someone told them to.
This is where I'm at right now. A lot of days, I struggle with trusting anyone---because I trusted her with all of my vulnerability. All of it. The deep stuff. The messy stuff. The happy stuff. I was transparent and I still got hurt so deeply.
So it's hard to feel like I can trust any of my friendships to be genuine. But I'm doing it. I'm fighting for myself and part of that is continuing to trust the people in my life who have supported me.
Because this trial is not going to ruin me. I won't let it.
Yes, it has changed me. It has made a lot of things feel horrible and it has left me with a great amount of fear. And fear is hard for me because I live every day with an anxiety disorder that sometimes takes control.
But ever since that day a month ago, I have worked. And that's all I can do. It doesn't matter that it still feels so scary and messy. It doesn't matter that I'm often afraid or feel anger. Because I'm trying. I'm trying a little bit each day.
I'm trying to build a relationship with God because I'm putting my faith in the Spirit and it's ability to help me discern safety.
I can't forget the power of the Spirit and the help my God gave me that day or in the weeks since. I've been so angry with Him but He didn't leave when I yelled. In fact, He surrounded me with extra comfort when I yelled and blamed and asked why. He loves me unconditionally.
I know I can trust in that.
And I refuse to let this ruin my trust in the people who genuinely love me and support me. I refuse.
Because I am a good person. I know I did everything I could in the best way I knew how at the time.
Yes, in hindsight, I'd change a lot of things but that wasn't possible at the time...because I didn't know any of this back then.
No comments:
Post a Comment