The odd thing is that I thought this was going to be the 4
year anniversary.
I don’t know why I was adding an extra year on there. Probably
because it feels like I’ve been on my own for much longer than three years.
I knew August was creeping up on me. I could feel it even
without looking at a calendar.
There’s just something about August, about school starting
and schedules changing.
And the night before school, I’m lying in bed and praying
for my kids and thinking about another year alone.
Another year where I go to parent-teacher conferences and
schedule extra meetings to make sure my son with ADHD is getting the schooling
he needs alone.
Another year where I help with homework and book reports and
reciting poems alone.
The irony is that Peter left me just 3 weeks into our oldest
child’s Kindergarten year so I’ve never really known what it’d feel like to
have a spouse more involved with those school activities.
So I don’t know why it always hits me hard in August.
I’ve been doing this all alone since the very beginning.
But this anniversary always hits me the hardest---because it
is my D-day. Three years ago, I was in a relationship and since then, I haven’t
been.
In fact, I can count on ONE hand the number of dates I’ve
been on in the past three years.
I’ve tried. I’ve done the online dating thing a few times
and it’ll seem to be working for a week or two and then all of a sudden, one
guy will ruin it for the rest by texting me something dirty or I’ll read the
profile of a guy who says extremely provocative things in his bio and I take
ten thousand steps back and think to myself, “Oh my gosh, being single forever
would be better than this!”
Because at least if I’m single, I won’t be getting my heart
hurt by the extremely douchey guys that seem to exist in this world.
Another thing that really triggers me about online dating is
the fact that 90% of the profiles say they’re interested in someone “slim and
slender” or “athletic and toned”. And any time I see that on a profile, I feel
like I’m reminded of why I’m single.
And then I have a hard time not listening to ED because it
seems like he’s telling me the truth.
It’s just one big ball of frustrations and disappointments
and there are days I consider just getting back together with Peter because,
you know, he still loves me and maybe he is the only guy who ever will---because am I even loveable?
I realize how irrational this is.
Or maybe I don't.
But I want to realize how irrational this is.
It's just that dating with an eating disorder is not easy.
I'm pretty sure dating in general isn't easy either though.
So I tell myself most days that I'm ok being alone because, most days, I am.
But some days, it just hits me that it's been 3 years since I've been in a relationship and had another adult living in this home with me.
August is a messy month for so many reasons.
Six years ago, tomorrow, I was diagnosed with infertility.
Four years ago this month, Peter left the church we were both attending and I felt so scared.
Three years ago this month, Peter walked out on me.
Two years ago this month, I had to stop being a stay-at-home mom and went back to work.
Last year this month, I was dealing with some after shocks of some traumatic events earlier that year. I also started telling others that I was questioning my faith and wanted to attend a Christian church.
August is my messy month and every year, I brace myself for what is to come.
And this year, I found myself quitting my job recently and dealing with some after shock and anxiety from that.
I'm not doing well right now. I'm hanging in there because I know it will get better but I've not been handling life well.
Because my body just senses the unsafety of August and every day feels unsure.
Thankfully, I've got my tribe of people who are patient with me while I struggle through the shittyness of August.
Thankfully, thankfully, thankfully.
Or maybe I don't.
But I want to realize how irrational this is.
It's just that dating with an eating disorder is not easy.
I'm pretty sure dating in general isn't easy either though.
So I tell myself most days that I'm ok being alone because, most days, I am.
But some days, it just hits me that it's been 3 years since I've been in a relationship and had another adult living in this home with me.
August is a messy month for so many reasons.
Six years ago, tomorrow, I was diagnosed with infertility.
Four years ago this month, Peter left the church we were both attending and I felt so scared.
Three years ago this month, Peter walked out on me.
Two years ago this month, I had to stop being a stay-at-home mom and went back to work.
Last year this month, I was dealing with some after shocks of some traumatic events earlier that year. I also started telling others that I was questioning my faith and wanted to attend a Christian church.
August is my messy month and every year, I brace myself for what is to come.
And this year, I found myself quitting my job recently and dealing with some after shock and anxiety from that.
I'm not doing well right now. I'm hanging in there because I know it will get better but I've not been handling life well.
Because my body just senses the unsafety of August and every day feels unsure.
Thankfully, I've got my tribe of people who are patient with me while I struggle through the shittyness of August.
Thankfully, thankfully, thankfully.
No comments:
Post a Comment